FIU Dataset: Shadows and Ambient Occlusion vs OpenGL-like local shading
(click on images to see higher-res versions)
- FIU with local (OpenGL-like) Shading
- Without shadows and/or ambient occlusion (i.e., using a OpenGL-like local shading model), the FIU dataset looks like this.
- FIU with ray traced shadows
- Simply adding shadows already greatly enhances the user’s perception of depth (e.g., the relative positions of streamlines and base geometry, the actual shape of the geometry, etc).
- FIU with OSPRay’s Ambient Occlusion Renderer
- Ambient Occlusion further increases perception of depth. In OSPRay, enabling (true, ray-cast) Ambient Occlusion is as simple as selecting the “ao” renderer.